Finding QA/Test Positions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Finding QA/Test Positions

Mr. Mike / Knowledgeable Poster,

After periodic checking of the local game developer websites and general game development job listings I've only once found a posting for "QA/Tester position available" (in Austin, of all places) and I am wondering if there is an easier or better way to grab one of these spots. Would it be advised to send a short message to the HR emails in hopes of your name being "on file" or would something like this be an annoyance and ignored? Do these offers get added and removed quickly? Do most companies list testing positions on their "Careers" pages? Also, what is the prevalence of unpaid internships in the industry and how would one seek something like that out?

Thank you,
      Chris Chappelear
    • I don't think there are realy any standards for getting QA jobs in places. Some people get called in after sending their resume in 6 months ago. Others get called in because their roommate works there.

I have never heard of unpaid internships, though.

If you really want to get into QA, it is best to prep yourself not as a gamer, but as an applications tester. Being a gamer does help, but most QA departments value someone who can do the job with a professional attitude and not let emotion get in the way of their evaluations.

Austin is going through a tough time right now, and people normally do not hire before Christmas as that is when projects are winding down. I would say just don't give up, but find something to tide you over in the meantime.

Good Luck!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kain ().