License of Source Code?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• License of Source Code?

Hello!

First of all, I love your book! I haven't completely finished reading it yet but so far I really enjoy the design and architecture of it.

I had a question regarding the licensing of the engine source (I tried doing a forum search to see if this was answered in the past but the search feature is broken at the moment). I noticed that the code is all licensed with the LGPL v3 license. From my understanding, that means I can't take bits of it (not copying verbatim, just using it as a reference and enhancing it to my use-case) to use for my own engine without releasing parts of my own engine publicly.

Is this correct? I just want to make sure before I get too far into anything and end up having to redo it all.

Thanks again!

- Erik
    • As a general rule - you are free to take the code in the book and use it as a reference to develop your own, unique (and probably superior) system for use in your own engine without any serious limitations.

What you can't do is take one of the classes and use it verbatim (or nearly so) in your own engine without making that engine open source as Rez and I have done.

If you like, send me the code you are intending to use and I'll give you my opinion on whether you are working in the spirit of the license.

Sound good?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Originally posted by mrmike
      As a general rule - you are free to take the code in the book and use it as a reference to develop your own, unique (and probably superior) system for use in your own engine without any serious limitations.

What you can't do is take one of the classes and use it verbatim (or nearly so) in your own engine without making that engine open source as Rez and I have done.

If you like, send me the code you are intending to use and I'll give you my opinion on whether you are working in the spirit of the license.

Sound good?

Yup, sounds good! I have a number of ideas for my own engine and it sounds like I should be ok, but awhile down the road when I actually have something that's worth using I'll probably send it to you just to make sure.

Thanks!