I feel like the book isn't helping

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It is a GREAT book, but it does require some initial knowledge of programming basics, and recommended, a basic knowledge of C++, do you have any background in programming?
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Everyone learns differently and their have been several others who haven't been able to use the book yet, although before I read this book, over the years I have also studies several languages with C++ being the main focus, and during that time read many other books on game development and programming, I would say it takes some previous knowledge of how to build large scale software (rather than just 2 or 3 source files), don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bash you or anything, I'm just saying that you could always put it on the shelf, read some other books to get you started, than come back to this one, for instance there is another book 'Game Engine Architecture' by Jason Gregory, which is quite complex, and I would recommend Game Coding Complete as an unofficial prerequisite for it.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • Hello cometlove1,

I'll make an assumption here and say you should probably start with a different book than this one - it is meant for intermediate programmers with enough experience to build and modify at least some DirectX samples in C++.

If you become proficient in C++/DirectX you'll have a much easier time jumping into Game Coding Complete.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I would suggest an introductory C++ book, Frank Luna wrote my favorite one.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x