Just about finished!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just about finished!

I am just about finished with the book and I just wanted to say thanks for writing this book. It has helped me quite a bit with the architecture and design of a game engine (as well as lots of other things!). I feel like after the book, that I'm going to start making a basic engine following the principles in the book. It's going to take me a while, but I don't mind, I'm really just looking forward to learning more through experience.

I have one question though. I am not really interested in graphics programming, I don't feel like I have enough time to devote to it while in addition working on other portions of the game engine. Would using OGRE be a decent substitute for a rendering engine?
    • Ogre is really powerful, but you can go about avoiding graphics programming for now by doing something in 2D, you will have to learn a bit about basic primitives and matrix math, but you will get to avoid lighting, shading, 3D models, etc. Once you have done a 2D game a 3D game will seem much easier, graphics programming also isn't that hard and won't take an eternity to get used to, it can also be alot of fun to.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • That would make sense. I am primarily a gameplay programmer, and work in UE3 usually. This is going to be a side venture because I feel like I should understand the inner workings of an engine better. I am comfortable with linear algebra and trig. At least the level that a gameplay programmer would be exposed to. I think the 2D direction would be a good idea. If I follow the architecture and design from the book it shouldn't be difficult to substitute another renderer.
    • All of my side projects are 2D projects. For gameplay, we don't really care if it's 2D or 3D. Do whatever you're most comfortable with. :)

-Rez