Running GCC4 VS 2010 Windows 8

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Running GCC4 VS 2010 Windows 8

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to post this because I recently posted some issues I was running into with DirectX files not linking properly and other migration issues.

The biggest one I had was with C103 errors with the debug folder not finding database files. After some simple searching I found it might be a issue with compatibility with VS 2010 on windows 8.

What worked for me was right clicking the desktop shortcut for VS and troubleshooting compatibility, and changing it to windows 7. Hope this might help someone.
    • Windows 8 has alot of compatibility issues at the moment, lots of game houses have been cursing it for causing so many issues, for me, it fried my hard drive (no joke at all), and during the time it did work, it was not compatible at all. If you can, revert to Windows 7, as nice as it is to use the latest tech, with Microsoft it's always good to wait until they have worked things out.

Its good that you got it working though, just don't expect that to be the last of your headaches on Windows 8 lol
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • I 100% agree, I'm just so torn about having to revert back due to re-installing all my software.... I know someone that does any coding should of known better :P

A small part of me is holding out hope that a service pack may resolve so many of these compatibility issues (especially since Microsoft claims windows 8 is really just a optimized windows 7 with the tile interface...).
    • Yeah, usually it's best to install stuff like this in a new partition. I spoke to our Tech Director at work and we're not upgrading to VS 2012 nor are we switching to Windows 8. Part of this is because we need to remain backwards compatible with Windows XP, which I believe is something VS 2012 doesn't support.

Give it another year (at least) before switching. Personally, Windows 8 feels a lot like when Millenium Edition came out sometime around 2000. I'm sure many of you aren't old enough to remember all the hype that surrounded it, but Millenium Edition was suppose to be the next best thing. It ended up being a bloated Windows 98 that was much more unstable. They didn't redeem themselves until Windows 2000, which I pretty much skipped. Windows XP was the next great OS from Microsoft. Come to think of it, Microsoft tends to get every other OS correct. So yeah, it's probably best to skip Windows 8 and wait until Windows 9, which will probably be fine if their track record is to be believed.

-Rez
    • I will be the first to say that Visual Studio 2012 has very few improvements. My day job gives me a license to try out most new Microsoft software and old (hence jumping the gun probably) and theirs just so many little issues. I guess like Windows 8 it needs at least a service pack before it can be revisited. The tech enthusiast got the better of me..... :rolleyes:
    • Originally posted by rezination
      Give it another year (at least) before switching. Personally, Windows 8 feels a lot like when Millenium Edition came out sometime around 2000. I'm sure many of you aren't old enough to remember all the hype that surrounded it, but Millenium Edition was suppose to be the next best thing. It ended up being a bloated Windows 98 that was much more unstable. They didn't redeem themselves until Windows 2000, which I pretty much skipped. Windows XP was the next great OS from Microsoft. Come to think of it, Microsoft tends to get every other OS correct. So yeah, it's probably best to skip Windows 8 and wait until Windows 9, which will probably be fine if their track record is to be believed.

-Rez

Did you also skip Vista entirely? Most people I know skipped that one and went from XP to 7 (myself included). When they announced Win8, I remember joking with people that I was just going to skip it and wait until Win9. That's starting to look like a very real possibility to me.
    • Originally posted by geshi
      Did you also skip Vista entirely?

Pretty much, yeah.

-Rez
    • oh I remember Windows ME, I had attempted all these years to forget about it, but then you brought it up lol
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Originally posted by rezination
      Yeah, usually it's best to install stuff like this in a new partition. I spoke to our Tech Director at work and we're not upgrading to VS 2012 nor are we switching to Windows 8. Part of this is because we need to remain backwards compatible with Windows XP, which I believe is something VS 2012 doesn't support.
      -Rez

correction.. Inside the Project properties, there is a PLATFORM TOOLSET option that let you target XP. There are some advantages of using VS2012, there are a lot of new optimizations. Well it's not a great idea to switch to it in the middle of a project.
      MCSE/MCDBA/Programmer C,C++,PERL,PHP

The post was edited 1 time, last by Slayerizer ().