Can't Access Source Code

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can't Access Source Code

Hello,

I am a new programmer who has just finished GCC4.

I enjoyed the book but found it extremely difficult to follow without deeper knowledge of the various fields of programming and game engine design described in the book.

I was a bit upset when I found out that I could not simply grab the source code off a disk or from a .zip file online.

So I tried the whole subversion thing (which was another learning curve) and I have yet to succeed in getting the "real" code. Yes I can copy/paste from google code, but I can't get all the project settings, include files, .libs, etc. just right and I don't think its worth my time to try that over just doing something simpler myself.

In short, I would love to start using the source code for this book (and would love some good executable files so I can see some of the features without having to spend tons of time trying to get the game to compile). Could someone tell me how to do that?

I installed Tortoise SVN and right clicked a folder, and clicked on import, pasted the URL given in an earlier thread, and encountered an error: Server sent unexpected return value (405 Method Not Allowed) in response to Error MKACTIVITY request for '/svn/!svn/act/938ea712-974f-e9-4b-90cc-d234e09d12cb'

If that makes sense to anybody more than it does to me, I'd appreciate help. If not I understand, and I'll have to move on to simpler material.

Thanks.
      A slowly aspiring game programmer...
    • Import is not the right option in your case, look for the option called check out, insert the URL and make sure that the checkbox "Fully Recursive" is set, this will ensure that everything in the SVN is cloned.

I believe the project files are in the MSVC folder, the library files however are in the downloads page of the google code page, which is labeled something like 3rd Party.zip

In short though I don't think handing you an EXE file would help you learn how to program/build. Also in order to send an EXE file and have it work it must also be able to install the required dependency files (Visual Studio Redistributable, DirectX), most of the people using the code probably haven't even take it out of the 'debug' build.

Get used to using TortoiseSVN, Visual Studio, or any equivalents you wish to substitute with, you will really benefit from being able to do all this stuff yourself, it doesn't take long to learn, just some practice.

I am not sure that there are any executable files available, but you may be able to coerce someone into building something for you if you really really don't want to do it yourself (I have never even built the GCC code so I wouldn't be a good candidate)
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Getting to know a source control system can only benefit you. Pretty much any place you work will probably have some sort of source control system set up.

For my personal code I have a subversion server setup on my website which lets me get my code from anywhere, and also acts a backup system. SVN is great because you can practically set it up for free, so its perfect for hobbyists and indie devs. And if your code is open source, like GCC, you can have google host it for free.

At work we use Microsoft Team Foundation server, which i've found to be pretty nice, but it requires a license, which is pretty much out of reach (or unrealistic) for hobbyists and indie devs. Although, I think they may be coming out with an express version alongside VS2012.
    • There are also other types, one that is made by the maker of linux called Git, another called Mercurial, however I find that a majority of people I know use SVN.

Another nice SVN hoster for free is Assembla, which I use, it offers free basic private SVN, or free fully futured public SVN.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Don't use git or mercurial. They don't work well with multiple users and binary files. They work with the philosophy of merging everything, which breaks down on binary files. I would stick with more traditional source control (SVN, Perforce, etc.)

-Rez