industry questions from a student

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• industry questions from a student

Mr. McShaffry (or other knowledgeable forum-goers),

I'm a student at the University of Cincinnati, over here in the armpit of America, where everything is grey and not too terribly exciting. I've dreamed of creating games since I was junior high, and have made several of them with a friend, though none of them involve much more than slightly complex C code. I went to a technilogically inept high school, so everything I know about programming I learned on my own, and until i was 16, I learned it on a 25mhz 386 (I was playing Ultima 6 while everyone else was playing Quake 2). I set myself towards computer science, and thus ended up in UC's engineering program, which is so creatively restricting (for people like me) that I switched into English, with focus on mythology and the occult.

The problem is that I still dream of creating games. For a long time, I assumed that this would happen only if I recieved a degree in some sort of engineering field, but I've been flipping through all sorts of books at Borders, and hope has been restored, especially after your mention of self-taught programmers on occasion being more valuable. I'm stuck as to what exactly I should be doing to get into the fray. I have the skills to get pretty much any degree I need, the problem is that I can't be as well-rounded as I'd like to be while in engineering. I've considered going into digital design, since I have pretty good art skills, but then I figured I'd be stuck modelling things, and leaning over the programmers' and designers' shoulders looking at the neat stuff they get to do.

What sort of advice would you give to a 2nd year college student in order to make himself a marketable commodity? Are there positions in the industry that fit my profile, that are well-rounded? Also, do internship jobs exist that would be available to the likes of me, or are they few and far between?

I'm sure there are others out there in my situation who would die for this sort of advice, so any input is greatly appreciated.

- nick molen
    • Well for a start, stop programming your page in dreamweaver, real programmers use notepad and real designers don't use macromedia. :D (just kiddin')

Well in order to answer your question we will first need to see some examles of your work, how advanced are these games that you have made? You probably need to know 3d game programming as 2D is all but extinct, even the gameboy is now using a basic form of 3D in most games. So what have you done? Show us some specks and then we'll talk some more.
    • um yeah, so i think you misunderstood what i was asking. As for my page, i'll use whatever i please, i dont use specific programs just because "thats what the cool kids use." If it gets the job done easily, ill use it. What do you need to see work for? I'm not applying for a job here, i was asking for insight. What you gave me was not worth the board space.
    • RE: industry questions from a student

Hey there -

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I've been taking a few days off!

It sounds to me like you've been learning as much as you can about a vast number of topics, all in some capacity related to game programming. The first bit of advice I can give you is pick your favorite two related topics, and concentrate on them until you've got some serious skill, or you realize that you don't enjoy it.

Of course, the process of getting this skill can sometimes be frustrating and not enjoyable at all - make sure you get past that so make a good decision about where to concentrate your time.

As an example, I pretty much focused on programming the millisecond I found out about computers, and didn't really ever stop. So, fine - after a crapload of work I finally figured out how to write some code.

I don't think I mentioned this in the book - but even if I did it deserves a few more minutes in the sun. Getting your degree, in anything, is a serious commitment taking years of work. Get through that, and very few things in your life will ever seem as hard. You'll be able to tackle everything with the knowledge that with enough pushing, you can get nearly anything to move.

Here's the bottom line - focus more on a smaller number of things, whatever they are, and achieve some results (i.e. skill). Once you've figured that out, you'll probably have your own answers to the questions you just asked.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot