Newcomer or Veteran - Get Good Advice Here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Newcomer or Veteran - Get Good Advice Here

Here's an excellent company that helps experienced people get jobs in the game industry. Even if you are completely new to the game industry, they have some great advice.

[IMG:http://www.mary-margaret.com/images/mmc_4web_no_box.gif]

I'm biased for good reason - the founder, Mary Margaret Walker is a dear friend. Her partner, Robin McShaffry is my wife.

The best reason for my bias, however, is that I've used their services for a personal job hunt and I can't reccommend them enough.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: Newcomer or Veteran - Get Good Advice Here

First off Mr. Mike, I'd like to make a comment about your book...awsome, simply awsome. With that said, I have a question for a you.
      Right now I work as an electronics tech on flight sims, and I'm working on finishing my bachelors in CS. It's been a dream of mine since I first played the prehistoric Coleco Vision (sorry if I misspelled it) to create video games, how likely do you think my chances are of a company hiring an experienced tech, but a newbie programer?
      Thanks for your advice, and a great book!

-Rob

Tell me about your job on the flight sim gig - you might be a pretty good candidate to work on flight sims or space sims on the programming side. You'll probably have insights on flight simulator design, user interface, graphics, etc. that other programmers might not have.

If I were you - I'd try writing some flight sim code - although I userstand the hardest part of flight sims isn't simulating the plane, it's simulating the ground.
      Mr.Mike

As far as my job goes, I see about as much code as a black hole lets light escape. All that I'm responsible for is maintinence of the visual system (which is archaic compared to present technology...so I'm told), hydraulic system & I/O system. Don't get me wrong, it's a facinating & challenging career, but it's not something I want to do...I want to do software. I'll go whereever I'm hired, naturally, but my preference is games :)

Well dood - it's a better place to start than most programmers I know. If you want to get started writing flight sims.

Other advice is the same old song and dance - get some good skills, write your own gamelets, and make them impressive enough to send to lead programmers via email. That's tough - but doable. And it will get you noticed, too.

It might be cool to post some good demos on this site, eh?
      Mr.Mike